Yobe attack: US Condemns Conflicting Reports On Missing Dapchi School Girls

United States of America has reacted to the abduction of schoolgirls from the Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State, by suspected Boko Haram terrorists.

Some days back the governor of the state on Wednesday apologised and retracted a statement that 48 girls out of the 94 girls that went missing after Boko Haram attack in the school have been rescued.

Gov. Gaidam in a statement issued by his Director-General Press Affairs, Abdullahi Bego said earlier information on the missing girls rescued was based on false information from security agencies.

Reacting to the development, Spokesperson of the US Department of State, Ms Heather Nauert, at a press briefing on Thursday, said the US was yet to get all the details about the abduction.

“We are still trying to get all the details about that but we wanted to mention that we condemn in the strongest possible terms the terror attack on a school earlier this week in north-eastern Nigeria.

“The choice of targets including schools, markets and places of worship reflect the brutality of terror organisations.

“The victims in the attacks were girls who were simply seeking an education,” Nauert said.

She said the US extended its condolence to the students and to their families affected by the terror attacks.

The US also expressed its concerns that some of the students are still not accounted for.

“We continue to support Nigeria’s efforts to counter the terror group.

“We also support Nigeria’s efforts to enable more than two millions displaced in the Lake Chad region to return home safely.

“United States continues to provide humanitarian assistance to those who were affected by the violence,” she noted.

3Shares

Leave a Reply