Lagos-Ibadan Highway: Nigerian Government releases update on construction

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Godwin Eke, has said that construction work on Section 1 of the Lagos Ibadan Expressway would resume in March.

He revealed that the Federal Government had mobilized the contractor, Julius Berger Plc, to return to site.

Eke said this in a chat with newsmen after his inspection of road projects in the Lagos axis on Wednesday.

Eke said the project was over 50 percent completed before the contractors left site due to debts.

Section 1 of the project spans from old toll gate plaza at Ojota in Lagos State to Sagamu Interchange in Ogun State.

Section 2, which spans from the Sagamu Interchange to Ibadan in Oyo State, is being handled by Reynolds Construction Company.

Eke, who supervises Section 1 of the expressway, said: “Recently, we got approval for augmentation because at a point, Julius Berger could not make claims for works already executed.

“So, now that we have the approval in our hands, construction work will soon resume fully on Section 1 of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

“The project is more than 50 percent completed.”

He revealed that the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration had clear debt owned by previous administrations on road projects.

Eke stated that this would pave the way for the completion of the various roads projects ongoing across the nation.

The controller also said construction work had resumed on the two pedestrian bridges on the Lagos Abeokuta Expressway.

The official explained that the contractors had earlier abandoned site because there was the need to harmonise the design of the foot bridge project.

He said the bridges are the bus Rapid Transit project being executed by the Lagos State Government on the highway.

2Shares

Leave a Reply