Oh My God: Presidency demands Kenyan action over Nigerian killed in Nairobi

Presidency has called for an investigation into the death of a Nigerian, Bamiyo Ashade who was killed in Kenya.

The Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa in a statement demanded full autopsy and investigation from the Kenyan Police.

The statement issued by Abdur-Rahman Balogun, Media Aide to Dabiri-Erewa, revealed that the reported killing was contained in the briefing by the Nigerian Ambassador to Kenya, Amb. Sheidu Momoh, who met with protesting Nigerians in Kenya, pleading with them to remain calm.

According to the Ambassador, the Nigerian High Commission is on top of the situation and had sent a formal complaint to the Kenyan Foreign Affairs demanding a full autopsy.

The Envoy, however, noted that contrary to insinuation that the late Bamiyo Ashade, also known as Bamo, was only a student in Kenya, he was a Nigerian living in Kenya, adding that he had met with the family of the bereaved to commiserate with them with the assurance that justice will prevail.

The deceased was brutalized at his house in Four Ways Estate, Kiambu last week Monday, while the police officers allegedly tried to extort him despite finding out he had valid papers.

While he reportedly stood his ground, as he didn’t commit any crime, the officers resorted to harassment and assault which led to his death.

The statement read in part: “In view of the foregoing , we appeal to Kenya Government to conduct a thorough investigation into the gruesome killing of this young Nigerian and bring the perpetrators to justice accordingly, ” Dabiri- Erewa stated.

“Dabiri-Erewa condoles with the family of the deceased and prayed unto God to comfort the family in the best way.

“Full investigation has commenced into the circumstances surrounding the killing of the Nigerian who died after he fell from the 8th floor of his apartment due to the fear of being arrested by some officials of the Kenyan law enforcement agency in Nairobi.

“The incident happened on Sept. 26, and the deceased was laid to rest, on Monday, Oct. 15, at the Langata cemetery, Kenya.”


Leave a Reply