On Monday, the spokesman of the Muhammadu Buhari Campaign Organisation, Mr. Festus Keyamo, revealed who will decide if the President would take part in the Presidential debate, ahead of the 2019 general election.
He declared that the Buhari’s campaign war room alongside the president would decide if he takes part in the scheduled Presidential debate.
Featuring on Arise Television, Keyamo said Uhuru Kenyatta of Kenya did not debate, yet he won the presidential elections.
The Senior Advocate said: “In the past, Buhari has taken active part in television debate, so nobody can argue that he is somebody who is camera shy.
“So the decision, whether he would take part this time must be a collective decision of the entire ‘war room’. Giving, for example, those who are organizing it and all the circumstances taken into consideration.
“I do take as a basic rule that the Nigerian people must hear from their candidates, but the decision as to yes or no cannot be my sole decision.
“The advice will be a collective decision, it is not my advise alone. Don’t forget that you cannot take these things in isolation of the circumstances.
“For instance, it happened in Kenya, Uhuru Kenyatta refused to take part in debate December last year. Why? He felt the process was skewed.
“At times, some things are designed and you know that they are core people there, who are hostile to government or who are hostile to your candidate as the case may be.
“Either way, Uhuru Kenyatta did not take part in the debate, but he won. He won resoundingly. So, as important as that is, at times the people may also understand.”